Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Video Games and Atheism

So, I'm a pretty big fan of scribblenauts and super scribblenauts. These are both games for the nintendo D.S. with a really cool concept. The gameplay is simple and creative, as you can have any item you can spell (minus some deemed vulgar, or some that are too obscure to be programmed in) and in super scribblenauts, you can add adjectives. You use any items you can think of to solve puzzles designed to have multiple ways of completion. Anyone who is a fan of puzzle style games should really pick this game up; It's well worth the money you'll spend.

Anyway, enough about the game in general; I'm here to praise one specific concept that spoke volumes to me, as an athiest. I always played with god in the original scribblenauts. There's something satisfying as an atheist to make god and kill him with a shotgun, nuclear bomb, poisin, acid rain, fire, and just any number of things you can think of.

Only last night, though, did I ever think to put "atheist" into the little notebook. I expected that to be too specific a concept or religions or lack thereof to be considered too controversial for it to cover without being accused of "stereotyping", but, no, to my suprise, a small, black haired guy in blue jeans and a skull shirt showed up for me to place. I happily showered him in gifts, flowers, food, some golden wings, money, and the little wrapped box with a bow that shows up when you use "Gift". Okay, so I get to feeling way to warmly towards video game characters. That's not the point.

The reason I'm writing this is what happened when I made god, to see how he and the atheist would interact. What happened? My little atheist guy ran over to god, the gear (far as I can tell, stands for thinking, working or fixing something) symbol came in a thought bubble, and god disappeared. Some people have said the athiest killed him, but I don't think that's the case. You see, in super scribblenauts, everything has four little life points, shown as red circles above them before they die or disappear. And god didn't lose his life points in this, he simply disappeared in a flash. I interpret the entire following as the atheist disproving god, and making him disappear. He does the same to a goddess. He does the same to zeus (looks just like god) and odin. I couldn't get the game to recognize any other gods I knew the name of, but I plan to try more. The general point: atheism disproves god.

So, to whoever on the creation and design team was responsible for this: Thank you, from an atheist for making your game represent atheism as correct. I know it's a small thing, but this mention and following makes me so happy. Let me say it one more time

Thank you, super scribblenauts creators
Sincerely,
a happy atheist

No comments:

Post a Comment