Friday, July 8, 2011

LGBT Discrimination

I've never been beaten, or had things thrown at me. I've never tried to do anything and been told "you can't because you're gay". The discrimination is all unofficial. Sure they were just following the rules when giving Halley and me detention for PDA; We were literally breaking a rule, and they did have the right layed out in the handbook to call parents for anything they want. But, walking around, there are straight couples with detention for the same thing, and their parents don't even know about it. And there are straight couples doing the same things that we were doing, going unnoticed. No, they never made a special rule that said "lesbians can't display affection" but they did enforce the "couples can't display affection" rule unequally.

We also had an event in which Halley was told not to talk to any middle school students whilst tutoring about me. Not don't talk about sex, not don't talk about gay rights overall and how the kids should be supporting gay marriage, but that, even if asked, she was not allowed to say "I am a lesbian" and she was not allowed to say anything that indicated that, because "these kids are too young for that kind of stuff" I'm not sure what kind of stuff those teachers were meaning, but if they meant romantic relationships over all, I find it pretty unusual, as I can remember teachers discussing their husbands and wives since kindergarden, and most of the kids have parents, statistically, that are involved in one romantic relationship or another.

At a school sponsored after-prom event, we were told hugging wasn't allowed. Maybe that was overall, maybe I was overreacting, and they didn't see the other couples, but a few friends were hugging too, and never got told to stop. It just so happened to be only the gay couple that was  told there was no hugging allowed.

Do these things count as discrimination? I think so. Should something be done to stop things like this? I think so. I propose a bit more transparency and equal application of the rules, also, normalizing homosexuality can help, that way it isn't so surprising when it happens. Yes, we are a minority, we are not shockingly so, and personally, I believe in the fluid scale of sexuality, so, really, everyone's at least a little gay, and at least a little straight.

1 comment:

  1. That was so annoying, worse was when I got yelled at for people calling me it, I wasn't even involved.
    and really, no one has ever thrown stuff at you about it? wow, lucky

    ReplyDelete