Saturday, July 9, 2011

Math and Self-esteem

So, I'm really terrible at math, and that makes me a little scared. I mean, guys, I'm naturally insecure, but academics are usually the place I know I'm good. So, when I see I've done terribly on a test of sorts, I feel bad about me. See, I just took my math placement test for college today, and got placed in elementary algebra review; not the place I'd want myself to be in. I mean, I knew I wouldn't do that well, but my goodness, I never expected to need to take an 8th grade level course my first year of college.

 Am I so stupid I need to take middle school all over again? I mean, I know I'm not great at math, but I never expected fours years of school below average.  I'm scared. It's hard for me to remember I'm okay when my test scores aren't at least above average.

So, what is there to do? I can take refuge in my Halley girl, but she seems absent today. It's not her fault. I'm sure it's autism or something else way more important than my need for comfort, but I just feel, well, bad about me. I've tried to help her feel better, but I'm not even sure why she seems so gone. I'm sure she's sick of me whining about how I feel so bad about me. So what now? That's where  I always try to take comfort. Should I just take a nappy, maybe? I don't know. It doesn't feel like anything will make me feel better.

So, I guess that's all depressing. I guess I'll just wait it out. Maybe I'll naturally feel better eventually?

1 comment:

  1. Brittany, you only took math up to sophomore year, so you're only two years behind, not four. And you have dyscalculia, you know that, so there's not really anything to feel badly about, it's not an intelligence thing, it's just a specific disability. No big deal, and your self worth shouldn't be tied into anything, not even academics. You are perfect. I'm really trying to be here for you, I'll try harder

    ReplyDelete