Thursday, August 18, 2011

My Dad and Me

This. This is what I feel like, every time I talk to my dad.

I don't know how I feel about my dad. Sometimes, I want to kill him, because he bothers me so much. We don't get along. I'm a liberal, he's a conservative. He's republican, I'm democrat. He's some weird brand of religious, I'm a strong atheist. He likes physical labor, I don't. He likes sports, I like video games. So how the fuck do we stomach living in the same house? Well, sometimes we don't, but when we do, it's got a hell of a lot to do with laughter.


You see, we get along by never, ever talking about anything remotely political. As soon as we do, we end up fighting the night away. All we can do is laugh together, and try not to take ourselves too seriously. It doesn't always work, and I wind up wanting to kill him sometimes, but then we quit talking about that and just tell jokes. And somehow, it all sort of works out. What am I trying to say here? I guess just that it doesn't matter who you are, you're going to run into people who believe stupid things, and, after trying logic to convince them, are going to have to give up and live with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment